K-1 Visa (Temporary)

Fiancé Visa

A K-1 visa is known as a nonimmigrant visa. This allowed the fiancé of a United States citizen petitioner to enter the United States for 90 days to marry the petitioner. The K-1 Visa holder can also apply for conditional permanent resident status after marriage when his or her spouse files for an immigrant petition.

There are multiple requirements involved with the filing of a K-1 Visa. These include but are not limited to:

  • Proof that the parties had met in person within two years of filing the petition. This condition can be waived in the case of providing proof that the meeting would result in extreme hardship.
  • Proof that the parties are legally able and willing to get parried within 90 days of the fiancé arriving in the United States.
  • Proof that the parties have a bona fide intention to marry. In other words, the marriage cannot take place for the sole purpose of obtaining a Green Card.

The United States citizen can begin the process of filing for a K-1 Visa by completing form I-129F with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. To ensure success, it is best to hire a qualified and experienced immigration attorney.

Although processing times can and will vary, the average is roughly eight months.